If you have a large family and an even greater circle of friends it can be difficult to keep track of everyone’s birthdays. Let me show you how to create a list of family and friends birthdays in Evernote. Evernote is a wonderful tool to help you remember everything so what better way to never forget a birthday ever again.
Earlier posts in this series are about How To Use Evernote For Your Grocery Shopping List and How To Keep Record of Your Medical Information in Evernote.
Let’s look at at how you can create a list of family and friends birthdays in Evernote so that you never forget.
There are three main functions of setting your birthday list up:
- Create a separate note for each birthday
- Create a master list of all birthdays
- Add the master list to your shortcuts
All of these steps are very easy to set up. Lets get started!
Create A List of Family and Friends Birthdays in Evernote
First off we will create a new Note for each family of friends birthday. I only have a small family so it was fairly quick for me to set up.
Start by creating a new Note. See the below image for how to set it up:
- The Note title will be the person’s name and the date of their birthday.
- Add a Tag called Birthdays.
- Set a reminder for the date of their birthday.
- In the body of the Note add any birthday gift ideas or dinner or party arrangements.
Follow the above steps for each family member or friends birthday.
As you have set a reminder for each birthday, Evernote will send you a notification on that person’s birthday.
Create a Master List in Evernote
Next, we will create a master list so that all birthdays are easily captured in one easy to find note. This is a useful note to check all birthdays at a quick glance.
To create a master last simply start a new note. Follow the steps in the below examples:
- Name this new note Birthday’s Master List or similar.
- Add a table of two columns and 12 rows. This is to create a month by month list for a year.
- Add the name of each month down the left hand column.
- Copy the ‘internal link’ of each of the notes you created earlier for each birthday. To do this simply right click on the desired note and select ‘copy internal link’.
- Paste the copied link in the right hand column for the month that applies for each birthday.
Never forget a birthday ever again. Create an @Evernote master list of family & friends birthdays #evernote #evernotecommunity Click To Tweet
The last step is to add your birthday master list to your shortcuts. Shortcuts are the quickest way to access your most important and frequently used notes, notebooks, notebook stack and tags.
- To do this simply right click on the Birthday’s Master List or similar note.
- From the pop-up menu click Add to Shortcuts.
For iOS devices you can add your note to shortcuts by following the example shown below:
- Tap the three dots […] on the upper right hand corner of your device screen.
- From the pop-up menu tap Add to Shortcuts.
Shortcuts can be viewed in a couple of places. My personal preference for Evernote desktop is to display shortcuts in a separate toolbar.
To set your shortcuts follow the below example:
- Click view from the top menu
- Select Shortcuts
- Select where you want your shortcuts to be displayed.
Now that you have set up your birthday notes you will never forget any of those special birthday events.
The day each birthday falls due Evernote will send you a reminder for that birthday. You will also be able to see all birthdays for the year at a quick glance from your birthday master list.
You have now learned how to:
- Create new notes
- Set reminders
- Add tags
- Create tables
- Link notes together in a master table
- Add the master list to your Shortcuts menu
All of these functions are the core of how Evernote can help you with every day life. This is how you create a list of family and friends birthdays in Evernote.
I would be interested to know how you use Evernote. Leave a comment below.
I am on a mission to become an Evernote Certified Consultant. For any questions or enquiries about help with Evernote you can reach me here or leave a comment on this post or on any of my social platforms.
I am available for consultation to discuss your Evernote needs.